We need patriotism -- not partisanship -- to heal our country. The ongoing effort to divide our nation along lines of race, political party, sex, religion, zip code, etc., is only hurting America. Americans are individuals with freedoms and liberties, not mere pawns for professional politicians to divide into factions.
We are the United States of America. United, meaning “joined together for a common purpose, or by common feelings.” Americans have a shared history, culture, and way of life. While Americans will never agree on every issue, Americans do believe in working together to achieve the common good.
• I will lead with the purpose of uniting, not dividing.
• I will collaborate with lawmakers in all parties to achieve common good.
• The fundamental role of the American Government is to provide Safety and Security to all Americans and their property.
• On the foundation of Safety and Security stand coexisting pillars of our American experiment, Liberty, and the Common Good.
• Our government must work tirelessly to protect, enhance, and when necessary, balance these pillars.
• The American Dream is only possible with safe and secure communities, a thriving economy and a united American spirit.
• I believe in a small government.
◦ Empowering American ingenuity, hard work, freedom, creativity, charity, and innovation to advance our nation and build American prosperity, American jobs, American success, and American happiness.
• The federal government should BE a safety net for those in need.
• The federal government should NOT be a giant hammock, aiming to establish a social welfare state in which citizens are dependent upon the government in all aspects of their life.
Two fundamental challenges facing America today are divisiveness and the loss of a shared American morality. President George Washington’s Farewell Address to his friends and fellow-citizens 225 years ago raises these two exact issues. Let us learn from President Washington insights and strive to create a more perfect union.
• “The name of American, which belongs to you in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of patriotism more than any appellation derived from local discriminations.”
• “You have, in a common cause, fought and triumphed together.”
• “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.”
• “… where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.”
The framework supporting the American Dream, the role of government, and the wisdom expressed by President Washington will help guide my every action as I work tirelessly to unite our country as Americans and represent the needs, hopes, and dreams of my fellow Minnesotans in the United States Congress.